Sunday, October 27, 2013

Out and About - EFA Open Studios



















On Friday evening my partner and I headed over the Elizabeth Foundation For The Arts (EFA) Open Studios on west 39th street. Members of this studio program are all professional artists with an established studio practice and recognized art career.

A jury of respected arts professionals, through a competitive application process, selects new members each year. Having never been and considering applying to the program I thought it might be a good thing to go and check out.

It’s a very impressive facility with artists on floors 3-10 and the open studio itself seemed very organized. We were met by greeters at the door who provided a nice brochure listing all of the artists participating by floor, along with an image of their work.

When I go to these events there is always an artist or two that makes me feel it was worth the trip. This time I can clearly say it was meeting Ryan Sarah Murphy and being introduced to her collage constructions. Created out of found cardboard, glue and foamcore, these pieces were very impressive and beautifully constructed. I responded quickly her use of color as well!

I love living in a city where events like this take place on an ongoing basis and the public is given access to discover the talent that exists behind closed doors. It’s a gift to be invited into someone’s creative space and get a closer look at their lives through their work.

If you are interested in seeing more of Murphy's work she is currently in a group exhibition at The Schiltkamp Gallery at Clark University in Worcester, Ma.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Mr Fischer,
I am an As textiles and art student in London that loves your work. I just wanted to say that for my finale piece of textiles I chose you as my artist link. I always try to follow the blog and I really like it.
Naia