Wednesday, October 16, 2013

On The Road



This seems to be the time of year for library book sales and this past weekend I made my way to Danbury Public Library Annual Sale up in Connecticut. I have to say it was a little overwhelming when I first walked through the doors. With over 30,000 books, this was perhaps the largest sale I have been to.

It was so large they provided each visitor with a floor plan, which identified all of the different sections by topic, with corresponding row numbers. I noticed they even had a designated “holding” area where you could keep what you collected safely stored while continuing the search for more books.

After studying the floor plan I decided to hit the children’s book section first. These are really becoming my “go to” books since I started working on a new body of work a couple of months ago. I love the outdated textbooks, activity books and storybooks because of their illustrations, typography and language.

Most of my books came from this area, but I did manage to hit every single aisle, except for the fiction section… nothing of interest there. On my way out a woman in line near me asked if I heard about the Ridgefield Library book sale happening in a few weeks, which I did not. Of course I’ll be there!

No comments: